18 Sept 2012

It's OK Mum, it Turns Out I'm Just Camp!

Yesterday we had the best media lesson of out lives, ever. We were learning about queer theory.
You can see where this is going.
I should mention that in media last week, I very violently outed myself as a lady lover (I like to say lezbitron, because it makes me sound like a transformer. Hands up who gets the joke.)
Anyway anyway anyway.
So we were sat in media (HB and I endlessly grinning/giggling to ourselves at either the references or the rest of the class not knowing what heterosexual meant, etc.), and we got to a conversation about campness in the media. Que lots of pictures of Graham Norton, Alan Carr, etc, etc. Someone asked what sort of things defined 'camp'. "Well, it's hard to define. It's quite general, it's usually men who are quite bitchy, make witty remarks, have good fashion sense, quite glamorous, you know?"
"Sir, is it only men who are camp?"
"No, women can be camp as well."
Oh my god. I'd never thought about that before. I had always thought campness could only be applied to feminine men, but the more I thought about it, I realized I didn't know any women who may possibly be in Ab Fab. Apart from, well, me. And I realized I wasn't just a bitch with excellent dress sense, I was camp! It was like a light bulb had been turned on, suddenly everything made sense!
This is why I have an affiliation for glitter, small dogs and sarcasm!
Now I've officially come out as camp to my Mum, everything been much easier. She now understands why I feel a need to watch Gok Wan and rip X Factor contestants to shreds.
So, this is my message for the week, if you know you are camp, do not be ashamed! Embrace the campness.

No comments:

Post a Comment